Remote User Testing
Remote user testing is a user research method for testing a website for usability over the internet and can be based in the user's home or place of work rather than in person or in a lab.
Benefits of this service
One of the main benefits and drivers for remote user testing is that you can reach a wider audience who are geographically dispersed.
- Cheaper to execute than lab based testing
- Can reach audiences all over the world and can conduct cost-effective international research across several countries at once
- Can observe users using the system with their own equipment in a natural context
- Can switch screens to show the user materials such as visuals and wireframes on your machine
- Often requires the user to install software in most cases
- Getting microphone audio levels right can take time
- Users must have a high-speed internet connection
- Often do not get to see the users reactions, body language and facial expressions
We carry out moderated remote usability testing and use experienced testers who are familiar with a range of products and systems.
We recruit a representative sample of your audience and invite participants to attend a meeting using an online service that allows us to view the participantís computer screen as well as share our screen. If they have a limited technical setup we call them on their mobile phone or land line so they can talk through what they are doing.
These participants are asked to perform a series of tasks using your site that are typical of those a user would attempt in the real world. While performing the tasks the participants are observed and recorded using a software-based usability tool called Morae.
Observers from your company can view the sessions on their local computer in real time or we can create a more concise highlights video of the critical user issues and present this to the development team.
We would typically look to deliver the following to your organisation as part of the remote user testing sessions that we run.
Video highlights - edited video clips of the most informative parts of the tests.
Presentation - an oral presentation communicating the most important findings and recommendations.
Need some more information?
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you run a card sorting session then please call us or email us below and we would be happy to help out where we can.
We are ready to answer your questions right now, so please contact us by telephone on +44 (0)207 168 7526 or drop us a quick email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help you with any questions you might have.